The Ministerial Association of Hamilton opened the first public library in Ravalli County in April 1903 in a room donated by the Ravalli County Bank in Hamilton. In July a special election successfully determined the City’s desire to take over the free public library and provide a 1 mill tax levy. In 1907 the library moved to the newly constructed city hall. When the space proved inadequate the community approached steel magnate Andrew Carnegie, who helped finance over 1,600 library buildings across the country, for money to construct a library building. The process stalled due to the requirement for the city to provide a building site. The Hamilton Women’s club revived the campaign in 1914 by procuring the necessary gift of land from Margaret Daly, widow of Copper King, Marcus Daly. On July 8, 1916 the new Carnegie Library opened to the public. The $9000 structure’s symmetrical façade, daylight basement, and classical detailing are characteristics of Carnegie libraries. The front portico was added later. Enlarged in 1988 through enormous community support and spearheaded by dedicated volunteers the library continues to satisfy the diverse literary and information needs of the community.