BITTERROOT PUBLIC LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
November 17th, 2016
OPENING – 9:00 a.m.
- Vice-chair Nikki called the meeting to order at 9:05 a.m.
Trustees present: Nikki McConnell, Bruce Weide (arrived at 9:15 a.m.), Brittany McKenzie, Bob Ratcheson and Carole Olson.
Staff present: Mark Wetherington, Library Director.
- Adoption of the agenda. The agenda was adopted as presented.
- Public Comment: No members of the public were present to comment, however Forrest Hayes (chair of the Darby Community Public Library board), Wendy Campbell (director of the Darby Community Public Library), Lauren McMullen (Montana State Library consultant) and Tracy Cook (Montana State Library director of statewide library resources) were present for a presentation.
- Minutes of the previous meeting. (ACTION) Brittany made a motion to accept the previous minutes, Carole seconded, approved unanimously.
- Claims for approval. (ACTION) Bob moved to approve the November claims as presented, Brittany seconded the motion, approved unanimously.
The cash balance, expenditures and revenue for the fiscal year through the end of October were reviewed.
The director presented basic statistics (circulation, programming, etc.) related to the library’s operations in October. The director also discussed the new library website, the completion of the Little Free Library outreach project, and pursuing health insurance through the Small Business Health Options Program.
No trustee business was discussed
Lauren McMullen presented on the various governance models for libraries in Montana. Montana Code Annotated and its provisions for libraries to be established and funded were discussed in depth. Advantages and disadvantages of the governance models, such as independent library districts, were discussed. Bitterroot Public Library was noted as having been established under an MCA statute that has been partially repealed, however the remaining portions of the statute allow for its continued existence and funding.
Staff Holiday Party (early closing of the library on December 16th)
Nikki made a motion to close the library at 4 p.m. on Friday, December 16th, for a staff holiday party. Carole seconded the motion, approved unanimously.
- Next Meeting Date
- The next meeting of the library board is scheduled for Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 9 a.m. in the library.