The Bitterroot Public Library strives to balance the rights of users to access information resources with the rights of staff and patrons to work in a public environment free from offensive sounds and images. Individual users must accept responsibility for determining content and suitability based on Federal, State and local law (MCA 45-8-206).
- The responsibility for what minors view or read rests with parents and legal guardians, not the Bitterroot Public Library.
- Patrons may only use their own library card for computer access.
- To provide an ideal environment for reading and research, we require that patrons use a soft voice (whispering) while in the computer area.
- One or two people at a computer at a time.
- Patrons are welcome to enjoy drinks at the library computers. Eating food is allowed in other areas of the library, but not at the computers.
- All behaviors while using library computers must comply with our behavior policy.
Misuse of Computer Equipment or Software
Misuse includes but is not limited to:
- Not following the above patron responsibilities.
- Activities that could cause congestion or disruption of networks and systems
- Changing, modifying or eliminating any library computer configurations
Misuse of computer equipment or software will result in the patron’s computer privileges being revoked for 24 hours. The incident will be documented according to library procedures. If the incident involves a minor child, parents/guardians will be informed.
Illegal Use of Internet Access
Illegal use includes but is not limited to:
- Any use that violates federal, state, or local laws
- Violating copyright laws
- Displaying anything that could be considered obscene in the presence of a minor
Illegal use of Internet access will result in staff requesting immediate compliance. If a patron refuses to comply or is in non-compliance a second time, the patron’s computer privilege will be revoked for 1 year. The incident will be documented according to library procedures. If the incident involves a minor, parents/guardians will be informed.