BITTERROOT PUBLIC LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
July 16, 2015
OPENING – 9:00 a.m.
• Board vice-chair Warren Neyenhuis called the meeting to order at 9:20 a.m.
Trustees present: Nikki McConnell, Carole Olson, and Warren Neyenhuis.
Staff present: Mark Wetherington, Library Director. Kristina Rodriguez, who is completing the practicum for her library specialist degree at University of Montana Western at the Bitterroot Public Library, was also present.
• Adoption of the agenda. The agenda was amended to include the new business item “Lift Discussion” and “Early Closing of the Library on Sept. 9th”. Nikki McConnell moved to adopt the amended agenda, Carole Olson seconded the motion.
• Public Comment: Kristina Rodriquez provided positive comments about the library and its staff.
• Minutes of the previous meeting. (ACTION) Carole Olson made a motion to accept the minutes of the previous meeting, Nikki McConnell seconded, approved unanimously.
• Claims for approval. (ACTION) Nikki McConnell moved to approve the July claims as presented, Carole Olson seconded, approved unanimously.
Nikki, Warren and Mark had a finance committee meeting to discuss the month’s expenses on July 16th at 8:30 a.m. and to review the claims for approval. The cash balance, expenditures and revenue for FY 2014-2015 were reviewed.
The director presented basic statistics (circulation, programming, etc.) related to the library’s operations in April. The director also discussed the Summer Leadership Institute he had attended, the lift project, and the status of a grant from the Annie Maclay Leffingwell Foundation.
Discussion of the lift and reports from the committee looking into the lift plans and options. A recent meeting with members of the board and accessibility experts was also discussed. The building committee will continue to meet and report again to the board at the August board meeting. Term dates and re-appointment of board member Rick Fuhrman was also discussed.
There was no unfinished business to discuss.
Early Closing of the Library on Sept. 9th
A motion was made to close the library at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, September 9th, so that staff can attend a staff retreat. Nikki McConnell made the motion, Carole Olson seconded, motion approved unanimously.
Owner’s Representative to Architect
A motion was made to designate the library director as the Owner’s Representative to the architect for correspondence and communications regarding the proposed handicap lift. Nikki McConnell made the motion, Carole Olson seconded, motion approved unanimously.
Lift discussion occurred during the director’s report and the trustees report. No motions were made regarding this item.
Community Room Policy Review
The library’s community room policy was reviewed. A revised policy was presented which contained revised contact numbers and clarified certain aspects of the room’s use. Carole Olson made the motion to approve the revised policy, Nikki McConnell seconded the motion, motion approved unanimously.
• Next Meeting Date
The next meeting of the library board is scheduled for August 20, 2015 at 9 a.m. Meeting adjourned by board vice-chair Warren.