BITTERROOT PUBLIC LIBRARY
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
June 18, 2015
OPENING – 9:00 a.m.
• Board chair Bruce Weide called the meeting to order at 9:00 a.m.
Trustees present: Bruce Weide, Nikki McConnell, Carole Olson, Rick Fuhrman and Warren Neyenhuis.
Staff present: Mark Wetherington, Library Director.
• Adoption of the agenda. The agenda was amended to include the new business item “Fiscal Year 2014-2015 Amendment.”
• Public Comment: Dave Schlechten, Schlechten and Associates, spoke to the board regarding the final plans for the handicap lift. He provided the final plans and specifications, a list of recommended bidders, and a notice to bidders. He also made several recommendations regarding the process to the board and noted that he would be available to help during the process. The board requested that he adjust the plans and notice to bidders to include an automatic door to allow easier entry into the building from the lift; Dave said he would adjust the plans accordingly. It was also determined by the board that a committee be formed to review the plans and provide a report to the board at the July board meeting. Nikki, Rick and the director will form this committee.
• Minutes of the previous meeting. (ACTION) Nikki McConnell made a motion to accept the minutes of the previous meeting, approved unanimously.
• Claims for approval. (ACTION) Warren Neyenhuis moved to approve the June claims as presented, Rick Fuhrman seconded, approved unanimously.
Nikki, Warren, Rick and Mark had a finance committee meeting to discuss the month’s expenses on June 18th at 8:30 a.m. and to review the claims for approval.
The director presented basic statistics (circulation, programming, etc.) related to the library’s operations in April. The director also discussed the Tamarack Federation meeting he attended with Warren, the upcoming Summer Leadership Institute in early July, the summer reading programs for children and adults, a required audit for the library, and adjustments to the insurance policy of the library since the building itself is covered by the owner, City of Hamilton, of whom the library is a tenant.
Nikki suggested that the library look into how to accommodate handicapped users during the period in which handicap access to the building is limited because of lift construction.
There was no unfinished business to discuss.
Fiscal Year 2014-2015 Budget Amendment
The Grants and Donations Fund (Fund 2) was amended to reflect increased revenue and increased expenditures during the 2014-2015 fiscal year. Estimated revenue in “Grants, Donations and Revenues” was increased from $23,500 to $43,500 to adjust for a $20,000 bequest that was received. Approved expenditures from Fund 2 were then increased from $14,500 to $26,000 and adjustments will be made to individual line items to reflect the increased appropriation amounts. Rick made the motion for this action, Warren seconded the motion; approved unanimously.
Fiscal Year 2015-2016 Budget Approval
The draft budget for fiscal year 2015-2016 was approved. The approved budget contains a 3% cost of living increase for staff. Rick made the motion for this action, Warren seconded the motion; approved unanimously.
Holiday, Sick and Vacation Leave Policy Revision
A holiday, sick and vacation leave policy was approved. Rick made the motion, Carole seconded; approved unanimously.
Anniversary Wage Increase for Employee
Anniversary wage increases for employees celebrating a five-year employment anniversary at the library was approved. Nikki made the motion, Carole seconded the motion, approved unanimously.
Director’s Probation Period
The director’s six-month probation period was noted as having been reached on June 4th. Warren made a motion to officially end the probation period, Rick seconded the motion, approved unanimously.
• Next Meeting Date
The next meeting of the library board is scheduled for July 16, 2015 at 9 a.m. Meeting adjourned by board chair Bruce.